Turns out He's not the only one to hear, low and behold 2 days later a former co-worker stopped out with some supplies (meat and beer) and christmas wishes. He had been more abreast of the situation going back all the many years from the start of the systemic problem. one of the many that knew I was doomed from the start.
As expected I was being thoroughly vilified over the failure of the job. apparently with me being at home in my underwear watching kids and hunting jobs on the net I was afforded no opportunity to present my side of the story. I couldn't really defend a fair portion of my actions because there came a point and time after all the mental and verbal abuse i just stopped giving a shit. I felt an explanation of my side of the story was at least owed to myself. I sat down and instead of filing a report to the blind eyes of my blog readers, I addressed the letter to the man who would be viewed as the guy overseeing the operations of the company.
I probably wont be going back to work via the union for an estimated 2 years... and thats a crystal ball number at best. our local features a 50 day callback policy that can be used once in a 12 month period. That got burned up last spring. I was done. It's not like they could fire me or reprimand me.
I would like to say that I presented a rational unbiased approach to things. I'd be lying, however I was not belligerent and irrational. I didn't do any direct character bashing, although I realize in making my points it had to involve addressing faults on both sides of the coin, mine and his... It was my side of the story explaining what I saw and I knew that the layoff was unavoidable, but I did not appreciate the manner in which my supervisor handled it. I enclosed my keys to the job-sites that weren't collected upon dismissal and that was that. A life-raft of clean conscious
I got a reply both good and bad, confirmed the rumors I was being fried, almost to the point of being fired. (shows me for not being the bitchy squeaky hinge) boss man did me a favor and the benefit of the doubt and I got the clean layoff. I was getting laid off anyway, it was inevitable, cant care much about that.
With that I take the deep breath. Sigh of relief. Officially over. Without work to occupy my mind I often think... Anyone who has been around me knows gears are always turning. in all this thinking i do know i really need a break. I have been perusing this career for over a decade, giving it my all and rarely taking more than a day off here or there....other than the trip to Europe or the Virgin Islands, which were in the last couple years...
Yeah, I needed a break, especially after pushing myself so hard only to fail horribly on this last one. Not just time off, i'd really like to just be the average nobody for a while. Get a job where I can perform a meaningless task for a reasonable wage and let my mind wander.
Also though that although I fought to keep my sanity and individuality doushebag rally sorta won anyway. I am still me, but his poor handling of nearly every aspect on the job has soured my taste for the career I have grown to love. I'd be stupid to not want to go back, it's $30 an hour with a respectable benefit package. Unemployment is $9 an hour......
here's the thing, money is nice but I'm not mr money either. I drive older vehicles, I don't have super expensive hobbies, live pretty modestly and I am creative and adaptable. If I can line up something that keeps me going and pays the bills I might be a bit less apt to crawl back to my career. Yeah, that kinda bread coming in would be nice again, but getting accustomed to living on less will be a good thing I think.
The greatest thing has been time with the kids. All that overtime and stress was costing me more than any currency can account for. I get Noah to myself in the afternoons 3 days a week, and during the holidays I had both boys for 2 weeks. We went to Jim Greens, got some VW parts and they played fetch with his dog... trips to the store, hide and seek, play-station while wearing our underwear. All the little things that make life grand..
I take a bit of sadistic pleasure in knowing that most of the "yes men" I have worked with over the years have kids, and that while there is a time kids want to hang out with their parents, by the time they realize it, their time will have passed. their kids will look back to always wanting their parents around, and leaving home at the first opportunity because they felt they were never a priority.
However if you have a line on a job I have a resume ready!


No comments:
Post a Comment